Monday, March 23, 2009

A Difficult Decision














Next week, I get to hang out with Jeanne Mayo and Richard Crisco.  There's also the slight possibility I could meet Ed Young, Judah Smith and a couple of other leaders whom I admire.

It blew me away when my wife said, "I'm excited and want to be there with you.  But it's just not that big of a deal to me."  

WHAT?  How could that NOT be a big deal?  Are you human?  

She followed up with, "Now, if it were the Duggars or Jon and Kate, it would be different.  That would be a big deal."  

Again, WHAT?  (I have very strong feelings about Kate)

Two years ago, I probably would've pitched a fit!  No lie.  It use to bother me that she would rather stay with the kids instead of do ministry with me.  

At a certain point, I came to an understanding...it has nothing to do with me!  Today, after a looonnngg process of maturing, I understand where she's coming from.  Spending time with these people is a big deal.  It's just not as big of a deal as spending time with her kids.  Her calling, her primary ministry is to our children.*  And I'm very okay with that.  As a husband, I couldn't be more proud.

After our discussion, I made a difficult decision and asked her to stay home with the babies, while I go to Dallas.  Now, understand...this is a once in a lifetime opportunity.  She realizes it's a sacrifice, but she's willing to do it for the sake of our family.  Ministry is about sacrifice, but too often we sacrifice the wrong things.  I could learn a thing or two from her.  She is a Proverbs 31 wife, through and through.

Thanks, Baby!  I love you!


*I didn't write this blog to make anyone feel guilty.  Every family is different.  This is our unique situation.  

1 comment:

  1. Way to go! You will never regret the investment you are making in your children. Cory, I'm impressed with your blog and will be adding it to my list of favorites.

    ReplyDelete