Saturday, April 18, 2009

Missed Opportunity

On Thursday, I ran into a guy who lives in our apartment complex.  We've spoken several times over the past year, but haven't spent much time together.  Even then, I'm pretty sure he isn't a Christian.  I began praying for the Lord to give me an opportunity to reach out to him. 

He and his wife had a baby boy in August.  I thought, "This would be a great time to befriend them.  Maybe make them dinner or something."  Never did anything.

I found out he was laid off in January.  I stopped by a couple of times, but he wasn't home.  I thought, "This would be a great time to help them.  Maybe speak encouragement into their lives or something."  Never was able to.

When I saw him three days ago, he informed me that their baby boy had passed away (SIDS).  This happened in December.  I thought, "What a missed opportunity to show them Jesus' love."  

I left our conversation sick to my stomach.  As I stood there sulking, I told my wife.  Finally, it hit me.  I can't change the past, only the future.  I can only change what I do with this relationship today and the days following.  

Here's what I need to get: I can't live in the past, but I can learn from it.  If I can get that, I will change his future in some way.

2 comments:

  1. Great post my friend. Was I sleeping walking ... when did you start bloggin'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your empathy. Hopefully, God will give you the courage to get very uncomfortable. :)

    ReplyDelete